Last Friday LINC students from our NE Whitehorn location took a field trip to the historic Fort Calgary. The construction of the fort was initiated all the way back in 1875. The government ordered the fort built in order to force out whiskey traders from the area. Commanded by Éphrem A. Brisebois, soldiers travelled north from Fort Macleod to find a spot on the Bow for the fort. On arrival at the location one Corporal George Clift King was the first soldier to set foot on the location, which is why he is sometimes cited as Calgary's first citizen. Construction began soon thereafter and the fort was completed in time to host Christmas dinner for the local residents,
Fort Calgary’s website offers the following words:
"In the fall of 1875 the North West Mounted Police built a small wooden fort at the confluence of the Bow and Elbow Rivers, and laid the foundation for the city that became Calgary. They came to bring law and order to the west, to stamp out the whiskey trade,and to befriend the First Nations peoples in preparation for the treaties that would open the land for settlement. The hopes, dreams and values of that time are still evident in the city we enjoy today.
Fort Calgary is located just east of downtown Calgary on a 40-acre site. Open year-round, the Fort offers Calgarians and their guests fun, interactive exhibits, tours and school programs. The 1888 Barracks and Interpretive Centre are available for private rentals, including weddings, meetings, banquets and Christmas parties. Fort Calgary is owned by The City of Calgary and is operated by the Fort Calgary Preservation Society.”
CIES strives to bring its clients in touch with local culture upon arriving in Canada and Fort Calgary is a wonderful example of fostering an awareness of the culture and history of our great city.